Wednesday, May 12, 2010

...A Time to Sing

There are moments when words seem clumsy. Awkward.
There are times when my heart and mind yearn for silence; emptiness that neither thought nor emotion can penetrate. Moments of enveloping peace.

Tonight I wanted to curl into my soul and hide for a while. Not from anything or anyone in particular, but from everything and everyone. I wanted to listen to my heartbeat, hear my lungs breath, feel my thoughts relax. I wanted to take Risa in my hands and cradle her in the dark quietness.

And then, as my desire to bury myself reached almost desperate levels, my friend began to sing. The notes from his guitar quieted my mind, while his words soothed my restless heart. At that moment of inner turmoil and intense desire to wrap myself in broken silence, these words were a balm:

Hungry, I come to You
For I know You satisfy
I am empty
But I know Your love does not run dry...
...I'm falling on my knees
Offering all of me
Jesus, You're all this heart is living for

We don't have to have it all together. We don't have to have all the answers. The whole point is that we're hungry. Broken. Empty. Weary.

Broken, I run to You
for Your arms are open wide
I am weary
But I know Your touch restores my life...
..I'm falling on my knees
Offering all of me
Jesus, You're all this heart is living for

That's the beauty of His love. He alone can restore our lives and rejuvinate our joy. He alone can lift our chins and call us Daughter. He alone can draw us from ourselves and return our gaze to Him.

My friend's fingers softly plucked the guitar strings, and as he quietly sang, God slowly unwrapped my self-made cocoon of defensiveness and heartache.
Tomorrow is a new day with beautiful new possibilities. Tomorrow holds it's own surprises and joys. Tomorrow...

Thank God for my friend and his song.

No comments: