Thursday, May 7, 2009

Trampolines and 4-Leaf Clovers

Today was warm and alluring.
It was the kind of day that you find it utterly impossible to stay indoors. It's impossible to sit within the confines of walls and glass and doors and responsibility - while a world of dazzling sunlight and color and life waits for you. Whispering. Beckoning. Calling.

Flinging off my socks and running through the clover-dotted grass, I flew out to the back meadow where the boys were laughing on the trampoline. We bounced and laughed for nearly an hour, shrieking with excitement when one of us would get unexpectedly rocketed skyward. It was very kid-like and glorious. Mark, who just turned twelve, egged me on to try a flip - and while I was initially terrified of breaking my neck in the attempt, I managed to pull off a full 360-degree flip. He laughed at my un-graceful attempts, but I couldn't help beaming at my new-found acrobatic talent.

Nearly falling over with jelly-legs and breathless giggles, we laid on the trampoline and gazed up at the drifting clouds. Little insects hummed around our sweaty faces. The rich, beautiful scent of the blossoming roses floated through the warm air. A bee buzzed by. It was quiet and peaceful.

Exactly what I needed.

In the midst of graduation preparations, college planning and paperwork, scholarship applications, speech writing/practicing, finals, SAT tests and more - escaping to the trampoline for a few hours was refreshing. Rejuvenating.

We migrated off the trampoline and laid in the grass, Mark making goose sounds with blades of grass, and I searched for 4-leaf clovers. Our knees got a little muddy, and our tummies itched from the grass (we decided it was the invisible microbes that make us itch).
What wonderful moments. I wish I could bottle those wonderful, warm, happy moments - just laying in the grass, humming and looking for lucky clover - bottle them up and save them for those not-so-glorious days.
It'll be bottled up in my memory for a long time yet.

No comments: