Thursday, December 4, 2008

Tu Risa (Your Laughter)

Quitame el pan, si quieres, -- Take the bread from me, if you want
quitame el aire, pero -- take the air from me, but
no me quites tu risa. -- do not take from me your laughter.

No me quites la rosa, -- Do not take away the rose,
la lanza que desgranas, -- the lanceflower that you pluck
el agua que de pronto -- the water that suddenly
estalla en tu alegria, -- bursts forth in your joy
la repentina ola -- the sudden wave
de plata que te nace. -- of silver born in you.

Mi lucha es dura y vuelvo -- My struggle is harsh and I come back
con los ojos cansados -- with eyes tired
a veces de haver visto -- at times from having seen
la tierra que no cambia, -- the unchanging earth,
pero al entrar tu risa -- but when your laughter enters
sube al cielo buscandome -- it rises to the sky seeking me
y abre para mi todas -- and it opens for me all
las puertas de la vida -- the doors of life.

Amor mio, en la hora -- My love, in the darkest
mas oscura desgrana -- hour your laughter
tu risa, y si de pronto -- opens, and if suddenly
ves que mi sangre mancha -- you see my blood staining
las piedras de la calle, -- the stones of the street,
rie, porque tu risa laugh, -- because your laughter
sera para mis manos -- will be for my hands
como una espada fresca. -- like a fresh sword.

Junto al mar en otono -- Next to the sea in the autumn,
tu risa debe alzar -- your laughter must raise
su cascada de espuma, -- its foamy cascade
y en primavera, amor, -- and in the spring, love,
quiero tu risa como -- I want your laughter like
la flor que yo esperaba, -- the flower I was waiting for,
la flor azul, la rosa -- the blue flower, the rose
de mi patria sonora. -- of my echoing country.

Riete de la noche, -- Laugh at the night,
del dia, de la luna -- at the day, at the moon,
riete de las calles -- laugh at the twisted
torcidas de la isla, -- streets of the island,
riete de este torpe -- laugh at this clumsy
muchacho que te quiere, -- boy who loves you,
pero cuando yo abro -- but when I open
los ojos y los cierro, -- my eyes and close them,
cuando mis pasos van, -- when my steps go,
cuando vuelven mis pasos, -- and when my steps return,
niegame el pan, el aire, -- deny me bread, air
la luz, la primavera, -- light, spring
pero tu risa nunca -- but never your laughter
porque me moriria. -- for I would die.

No comments: