Monday, January 16, 2012

Josh Groban and Powerful Adjectives

I'm camped out at my little desk, mocha in hand, listening to Boston's More Than a Feeling and Eric Carmen's Hungry Eyes. Pandora's been a bit of a life-saver as I've spent way too many hours here already studying away. I've started creating different stations for different subjects: soft rock for global medicine, funk for mental illness, indie for ethnic studies, and my latin american politics class is a strange mix of samba and reggae. Pro: it definitely preserves my attention span, but Con: I've realized that when certain genres of music come on the radio now, I immediately revert to the respective class....I think I'm scarring myself. That's a little frightening.

Meanwhile, opera has been the defining soundtrack for my scholarship applications. There are a bunch due in February, so my studies are punctuated with working on personal statements and ridiculously concise essays. Josh Groban, Sarah Brightman, Andrea Bocelli, Celine Dion, Celtic Women...they've all kept me company as I try to transform myself into a deity for the scholarship committees. Hopefully it works, getting even one or two of the scholarships would make my future life *so* much easier. Here's to crossing my fingers and using powerful adjectives.

No comments: