Saturday, July 11, 2009

A piece of my worldview...

Although I sometimes worry, I hardly ever worry about getting lost. I think I can almost say I never worry about getting lost.

Driving has always thrilled me. I have always loved getting behind the wheel. The very first time I buckled into the driver's seat, turned that magic key, gently pressed the pedal, and began to drive, I remember an intense feeling of freedom. "I'm flying," I remember saying. Sure, it sounds quite cliche...but I saw a pair of wings in those four rubber wheels.

Like I said, driving has always thrilled me. Getting from one place to another has never been a chore, rather every run to the grocery store is an adventure. An exciting sally-forth into the world.

Much to the chagrin of my passengers, and often my mother, I actually enjoy getting lost. Not that I purposely take wrong turns. But when it does happen, it never bothers or stresses me out. Now, sure, if we're supposed to have been somewhere 10 minutes ago, and I have no clue where we are...yeah, that's stressful. But in general, on a day to day basis, when I take a wrong freeway exit, turn left instead of right, daydream too much and coast right by my destination - it doesn't bother me a whit.

I see it this way: you're going to get there eventually. By taking that wrong turn, nothing fatal is going to happen to you (unless a meteor crashes out of the sky or something). You're going to be able to turn around, you'll find your way back and hey! You'll probably see something new and cool while you're at it. Snazzy, isn't it?

And so, know that if you ever drive with me and I take a wrong turn...I'll probably be grinning and leaning forward in the driver's seat. Turn up the music, don the sunglasses and roll down the window. Getting lost is fun. And when you DO get where you want to go, you'll have a story to boot.

No comments: