Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Intriguing Humanity


If you take the time, you'll notice the dark circles under his eyes. He stayed up all night studying for finals.
If you take the time, you'll sense how she glows. Every sparkle in her eye betrays her secret love.
If you take the time, you'll notice the old man's limp. Since the war, he's never walked the same.
If you take the time, you'll notice the bruises beneath her sleeve. She's too scared to ask for help.
If you take the time, you'll notice his too-frequent laugh. He craves affirmation and acceptance.
If you take the time, you'll notice his nails. He's a desperate addict who knows nothing else.
If you take the time, you'll see how she beams. Her graduation ceremony is just hours away.

I was on register again today at work and suddenly I was face to face with dozens of strangers. As I scanned in their books, I watched them. Quietly. Without them noticing. People are so fascinating and beautiful - their eyes, their smiles, the way they sign their name. I love talking with them, learning a little about them, lending an ear to their frustrations or excitement. For a brief five minutes or so, our lives have intersected and that's something marvelous.

What shall we use to fill the empty spaces where we used to talk? How shall I fill the final places? How should I complete the wall? -Pink Floyd

People are beautiful, even in their weaknesses and faults. That's what makes us human.

2 comments:

Sara said...

You are incredible, and I love you. This post was breath taking. <3

Freckled Philologist said...

I am undone by your ongoing ability to think these kinds of thoughts, but also write about them in such a moving way. You are an amazing person. ¡Cuánto te quiero!