Sunday, January 24, 2010

Now go

Our Jamaican medical mission team was comissioned at church this morning. We stood before the congregation of smiling, supportive faces and were blessed. The team's "uniform" is a bright blue Freemont shirt, and as we stood before the church, we created a bold splash of color on the sanctuary steps. Over 400 heads bowed as Pastors Baird, Hoffmeyer and Wilson prayed over our trip, over our safety, and over our impact on the Jamaican communities and people.

The sermon this morning was titled, "You Go", and coincided surprisingly well with the launching of our team. We read Exodus 3-4; the almost comical account of God sending Moses to Egypt and Moses' string of pathetic excuses begging God to send someone else. In response to Moses' protests, God repeatedly replied with encouragements:

"So now, go. I am sending you..."
"I will be with you..."
"Now go; I will help you speak and will teach you what to say..."
(Excerpts from Exodus 3 & 4)

After returning to my seat, besides my dad and sister, for the second service (and second time hearing the sermon), those words unexpectedly rang out with a breathtaking intensity. Completely humbled and awed at His desire to use bumbling, inadequate, sinful people like Moses...like me...brought tears to my eyes. Which was wierd. I've known this. I've heard this for years. Sermon after sermon, song after song. And yet, today, 5 days before boarding a plane to Jamaica, those words carried a new and different power.

"I am sending you...I will be with you...I will help you....I will teach you...now go."

No comments: