Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Finals Week

I stayed up until 3am last night working on a paper. It was a simple enough assignment: a research paper on Fight Club and the crisis of masculinity in American culture. The debater in me, however, turned it into a massive, overly-complicated, much-too-analyzed paper more like grad-school thesis material than a junior college GE requirement. I'm pleased with my result, but wow....3am? Really?

And now, I'm studying my brains out for tomorrow's Foreign Government final. Our bathroom mirror is covered in political terminology, policy definitions, and abstract criteria for a consolidated democracy. It actually looks really cool. I'm hoping that if every time I go in there I quiz myself on the words staring back at me...maybe the terms will stick a little better. We'll see.

Meanwhile, I found the most fantastic study music ever. The Vitamin String Quartet compiles "tributes" to great musicians (Queen, The Beatles, The Killers, Snow Patrol, Leona Lewis, Fall Out Boy, etc) and turns the pop songs into classical masterpieces. The violins, cellos and violas make "Hey Jude", "Bohemian Rhapsody", "Chasing Cars" and "Dance Dance" positively incredible. Here's one of my favorites....go ahead. Click on it. Fall in love.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm praying right now for an A in this so subjective, down-right dastardly difficult class!

Zack Russell said...

Good luck on finals! Oh, and VSQ is pretty awesome. They actually have done covers for August Burns Red and some of the harder Linkin Park songs. Heh, hard rock turned into classical. Very interesting to analyze!

Risa said...

Really Zack? That's very cool. Yeah, I discovered them a couple nights ago when a friend and I shared earbuds to her i-pod while studying. She turned VSQ on and well...I was hooked. ;)

Zack Russell said...

Heh, that's awesome. Ok you've check this out. This is my favorite Linkin Park song...and the alternate version by VSQ. Totally awesome. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LYU-8IFcDPw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baC0E30Sxjc

Juliet SN said...

VSQ is amazing :) I love their versions of Paramore's music.

Ooh, your paper sounds really, really interesting. Would you post it? I'd love to read it. *smiles*

Hope your finals went well, querida!

Risa said...

*listens* It's a cool song! A tad too disonant for me to listen to over and over again though... But you gave me a couple good leads I'll have to check out as well. :) I'm still pretty surprised I'm just NOW learning about these guys. sheesh.

Aww, Juliet, I'd love for you to read it! It's *very* long...but I'll post it. Gracias, querida. Abrasos para ti. <3