Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Joys of Dishwashing


I love washing dishes in the fall. Winter too. Over half of the year, this is my absolute favorite chore of all.


For 10 or 15 minutes, three times a day, I get to srub dishes while heavenly warm water swirls around my fingers and splashes my wrists. It's like "spa day" for the hands...three times a day! And when I'm finished, my hands are officially and delightfully warm.


I love doing the dishes when it's raining too.



There's something special about watching the rain pelt the soggy earth. Watching it fly sideways and patter against the window. There's something magical about listening to the howl of the wind and the creaking of our old house, seeing the whirling and swirling of the cold rain - all while my hands are submerged in whirling, swirling warmth and bubbles.



No comments: