Today was incredible. The kind of incredible where you remember it hour by hour, sometimes minute by minute, the wonder happened so fast. I saw more new things in one short day than I have in a long time and my mind is full of beautiful moments I'm working hard to tuck into my longterm memory. I never want to forget this bewitching day.
Mark and I left Sacramento this morning and began our CA-1 roadtrip with glee. We've been counting down the days to this trip for months and finally it was here! So of our favorite memories so far:
* Dropping out of San Francisco and almost immediately being greeted by rugged cliffs, vibrant wildflowers, and the pounding of powerful waves.
* Pulling over on the side of the road to take pictures and touch the iceplant.
* Walking around the harbor at Half Moon Bay. We touched the names of the 15 sailors who have died in those waters since 1928.
* Locking the keys in the car and being forced to hang out at the beach while we waited for the tow-truck to come save us.
* Exploring the tide pools below Pigeon Point Lighthouse and finding a massive seal who snorted at us.
* Hiking through knee-high cliff grass and rugged wildflowers to a rocky cliff overlooking a solitary, untouched cove.
* Eating bagels and cream-cheese on the most comfortable wooden chairs imaginable, and watching a flaming sun dip below the vast expanse of ocean.
* Soaking in a bubbling hot-tub, separated from the pounding Pacific by only a wire fence, and watching the stars come out one by one. It must be the most incredible hot tub in the world. All you can see is ocean; ocean on every side.
Tomorrow is going to be equally amazing as well, I'm sure, but in a completely different way. I really can't wait.