Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Sigh No More - Mumford and Sons

Mumford and Sons has beautiful songs. My heartbeat slows and pulses in rhythm with their mesmerizing guitar and percussions. The long day melts into history as I quiet my mind and warm my hands before the small fire someone started with the remaining kindling. Heat is so therapeutic. Mumford and Sons is so therapeutic. Stillness is so therapeutic. The rain beats ceaselessly against the window, streaming down in winding rivulets. The composition is magical; the pattering rain, the crackling fire, the comforting guitar of Mumford and Sons. The moment is magical and soothing...washing it all away.

Last week was one of the most stressful I've had in a very long time. Averaging 2-3 hours of sleep per night, my life was chemistry, calculus, running and organizing MUN submissions and competition preparation, study groups, work and research papers. Life has an uncanny way of making everything due during the same week - or the same day. I spent 12-13 hour days at school and would come home, grab something quick to eat, and work on chemistry until 3 or 4am. And get up at 6. A massive test was coming and I recognized my frustratingly slow ability to absorb concepts.

Well, that was last week and I've since recovered from my state of utter exhaustion. Today we got our tests back. I got an C-. And that's only because of the curve....without the curve I got an F. How does that happen? How does it work that you stay up later than all your classmates, go to two (or three) different tutors, organize study groups, call people for help at midnight, do all the homework, and still get a C-?

It's getting late and the house settles and creaks in the rain. I close my eyes and listen to the beating rain against the windows; you can almost hear patterns. The rain falls in waves. It has a clean, beautiful smell that makes the earth feel so fresh. Deep within the blackness of the night, the rain falls and washes the city. I think about the good things around me; I must. My MUNers are fantastic. I will be in three more photo galleries by my 21st birthday. I have wonderful friends. I may be grey by the semester's end, my GPA might suffer from a bad grade in chemistry, and I might become dangerously addicted to espresso shots, but for now there is Mumford and Sons. And a fire. And rain. Clean, pure, beautiful rain....washing it all away.

No comments: