Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Carols


I'm curled up in the corner of a cafe with honey-cinnamon chai tea and a surprise moment to write. Today has been a flurry of doctor's calls, scheduling appointments, calling restaurants to cater at next quarter's events, classes, and skype time with a face I miss.  It's been a long day and the fact that I can count on my fingers the amount of days until I'm home make studying seem inconsequential. A fact that can't be farther from the truth.

But I've discovered The Piano Guys' newest masterpiece and the breathtaking chords of the cello transport my nostalgic Christmas heart back to days of decorating trees in the Fremont sanctuary and listening to the 90-piece orchestra tune up. The video's architecture reminds me of Spanish and French cathedrals and my mind wanders to the icy streets of Madrid; sparkling orbs of light dangling above pavement sent shadows of light dancing across ancient stained glass windows.

I love the haunting melodies of old carols. O Come, Emmanuel. God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen. Mary Did You Know? They're deep and rich, powerful songs full of mystery and intrigue. Each version is different. Each an interpretation of someone's memories and heartfelt emotion poured into the notes on the page. I think that's what makes them so beautiful - the songs become human.

And this one is particularly beautiful.

No comments: