Monday, September 7, 2009

Matthew 25

"Matthew twenty-five," said [Dr.] Farmer. "Inasmuch as you have done it unto the least of these my brethren, you have done it unto me." He went on, paraphrasing, "When I was hungry, you fed me. When I was thirsty, you gave me something to drink. When I was a stranger, you took me in. When I was naked, you gave me clothes. When I was sick, when I was in prison, you visited me. Then it says, in as much as you did it not, you're screwed." He smiled...

"When I was sick, when I was in prison, when I needed clothes, you gave me, et cetera. We got those covered." He went on, "One thing that comes back to me...if I saved one patient in my whole life, that wouldn't be too bad. What did you do with your life? I saved Michela, got a guy out of jail. So I'm lucky. To have a chance to save a zillion of them? I dig that."

Dr. Paul Farmer, the doctor who would cure the world.
The book Mountains Beyond Mountains (which I just finished) is a fantastic chronicle of his story, his struggles, but more importantly, his little victories that are saving the world...one patient at a time. Read it. It's good.

No comments: